This article was updated to support v12.0 and newer of Goliath Performance Monitor.
- Versions 4.0 to 8.0 supported
- Service account with Read-Only rights to vCenter (also known as Global Permission) and propagate to children enabled are required
This section will walk you through the discovery and configuration process for adding VMware vSphere ESX/ESXi and its subsequent virtualized guest machines and storage to your Goliath Performance Monitor inventory.
Note: It is recommended to begin by configuring your virtual hosts (vSphere ESX/ESXi) before deploying Agents. This will populate your Goliath Performance Monitor inventory with all the relative guest VMs and storage per host.
- Navigate to the Settings page via the link in the top right hand corner
- Under the Inventory section, click the link for Configure VMware Virtual Environment
- A new pane will appear, click the Add button to add new environment
- Complete the form to enter the connection information
IP Address or FQDN: Enter the IP or FQDN of the VMware vCenter or specific host that you would like to monitor
- It is recommend that if you want to monitor multiple hosts that reside on the same vCenter to enter the vcenter information. The vCenter connection will auto-discover the hosts associated with that vCenter
- User Name: enter the username for the account that will be used to establish an ongoing connection
- Password: enter the password for the above account
- Type: Use the drop down list to chose the type that matches the IP/FQDN entered in step 4.1 (VMware vCenter Server or VMware ESX/ESXi Host)
Collector: Chose where the Vmware API (VMA) will be running from
- By default, this is done from the Goliath Server, however in larger Goliath implementations we may recommend that you offload this to a separate machine
- IP Address or FQDN: Enter the IP or FQDN of the VMware vCenter or specific host that you would like to monitor
- Once all information is entered click Connect. The technology will then try to connect to the vCenter/Host specified from the collector machine. This may take a couple mins
- Once complete, you should see a message that says Successful Check along with a list of the discovered item. Click Apply to continue
- If an error is returned, please see the Goliath Performance Monitor Prerequisites to ensure the appropriate firewall rules are configured and the account has the correct permissions and then try the above steps again
- You will now see on the main configuration page a line item for the connection.
- If you have additional vCenters/Hosts to add repeat steps 3-6
- Please note, if you make a vCenter connect in steps 4-6, you do not need to make connections to individual hosts that reside within that vCenter.
- Once all of the connections are listed, click Next to continue the through the configuration wizard to add the hosts into the technology.
- On this next screen, you will see all discovered hosts listed in the Available Host section. Use the checkbox options to select which host(s) you'd like to add into the technology. Once the host(s) are selected, click the button >> in the middle of the wizard to move the selected hosts from Available Hosts section to Licensed Hosts section. When finished click Next.
- Click Finished to complete the configuration
- Please note, it may take about 5-15 mins for your entire VMware environment to populate into the technology. Navigate to the Configure - Inventory screen to monitor the activity, You will need to refresh the screens in order to see inventory updates.
Post Configuration: What’s Next?
By default, Goliath will gather some resource utilization metrics agentless via the VMware vSphere monitoring configuration. However, if you would like full OS monitoring via the Goliath agent monitoring or are would like Citrix Virtual Apps & Desktops, VMware Horizon or Epic System Pulse environment(s) please see the below articles if applicable.
Application & Desktop Virtualization Monitoring
Goliath Agent Installation Methods: