This article has been updated to support v12.0 and newer of Goliath.
This installation guide for Goliath Performance Monitor (GPM) is applicable for end users looking to configure the Goliath Server for High Availability (HA). For full details on Goliath's High Availability support please reference the article High Availability Guide for GPM.
For a standard, non-HA, installation of GPM please follow the steps in the article Goliath Performance Monitor Installation Guide.
Are You Ready to Install?
Before proceeding, please ensure you have the following items available and prepared:
- Confirm that all applicable Prerequisites have been completed
- Goliath Performance Monitor Installation file has been downloaded
- Your Goliath license key
- This should have been provided by Goliath Finance Department upon purchase.
- If you do not have your license key, please submit a support ticket and a member of the team will look it up and send it over to you.
Installation Steps for High Availability
- Install GPM on the primary server using the Remote or Local Full SQL Server install steps.
- Install instructions can be found here: Goliath Performance Monitor Installation Guide
- Confirm the Goliath website is loading properly on the primary Goliath server
- Stop the MonitorIT Server Service on the primary Goliath Server
- Install the latest version of the ODBC Driver for SQL Server, on the secondary server, which will be needed for the SQL Server connection.
- Here is a link to version 18.0 - this is a 2 min Next>Next install
To install GPM run the installer executable, GoliathServer.exe
- If you need a copy of the installer, please open a support ticket
- The executable will start the install process and display a Welcome installer
- Click Next to view the End User License Agreement. Read the agreement and if you agree with the terms, select I agree to the terms of this license agreement and click Next. If you do not agree or do not wish to continue, select I do not agree to the terms of this license agreement and click Cancel to exit the installer
- Enter your product license key provided by Goliath Technologies and select Next to continue
- Please verify and or specify the STATIC IP Address or DNS Name for the Goliath Performance Monitor Server and Web Interface Console Port. When finished select Next to continue.
- Once Next is selected, the wizard will verify that the Console Port is available. If it is, Goliath Performance Monitor will then continue.
- The next step lets you select where to install the Goliath Performance Monitor program. When the appropriate location is confirmed or entered, click Next to continue.
- The default location is C:\Program Files\MonitorIT.
- If this is a full installation with an official license key, you will see the following options for configuring the database settings. Choose the bottom option for Manual Configuration
- Please verify that the following installation settings are correct, if so, select Next to proceed with the installation or Back to make the appropriate modifications.
- During the installation process, a progress bar will show the progress of installing the Goliath Performance Monitor, as seen in the figure below.
- Please Note: At some points during the installation your screen may go blank. This is a normal part of the installation process.
- Once Goliath Performance Monitor is successfully installed the install program will display a message that the installation is complete Click Finish to exit the install program.
- Now that the installation is finished, there are a few more steps that need to be completed in order to connect Goliath & SQL.
- Right click the desktop icon for Goliath Performance Monitor and run as admin
- Upon click you will see the below error, this is expected, click ok and proceed.
- Launch Windows Services and stop the MonitorIT Server Service
- Launch ODBC Data Sources (64-bit) from Windows Administrative Tools
- When ODBC Data Sources (64-bit) launches, by default it will be on the User DSN tab. Switch to the System DSN tab
- You will see an entry listed named BreakoutRPM, select it and click the Configure button
- If there is not an entry listed, please create one via Add>ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server
- Update the Server field with the SQL Server and instance name where the database resides then choose Next
- Note - If the remote SQL server utilizes a listening port other than 1433, the SQL Server should be SQL_Server_name,ListeningPort. For example, SVR-SQL01,4454 or SVR-SQL01\PROD,4454
- Keep all default settings on the How should SQL Server verify... page and click Next
- Update the field Change the default database to: to the name of the Goliath database.
- The default name is GoliathDB but check the SQL Server to be sure it wasn't customized.
- If the checkbox for attach database filename is checked, please uncheck it and then click Next
- Keep all default setting on the following page and click Finish
- A SQL Server Setup window will appear. Click the Test Data Source... button to confirm the SQL Connection is successful. Then click OK to save the configuration.
- Please note, if your user account doesn't have rights to the SQL Server and database it is ok if the test fails.
- Now that the DSN is updated, feel free to close the ODBC Data Source application by clicking OK.
- Open Windows Services and right click the MonitorIT Server Service and go to Properties
- Go to the Log On tab
- Change the Log on as option to be This account and then enter the username and password of the SQL db_owner account
- Click Apply and then OK to save the setting.
- Start the MonitorIT Server Service
- Within 3-5 mins, if you refresh the Windows Services screen, you should now see another service called MonitorIT Agent Service. Once you see that service created you can launch the technology and continue to the next section.
- Confirm the GPM website is loading properly for the secondary Goliath Server.
- Open Windows Services on the secondary Goliath Server, stop the MonitorIT Server Service and set it to Disabled
- Start the MonitorIT Server Service on the primary Goliath server